Privacy and Cookies Policy
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors. This policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
(1) What information do we collect?
- We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- (a) information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views)
- (b) information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us.
- (c) information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services, email notifications and/or newsletters.
- (d) any other information that you choose to send to us.
- 2.1 A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
- 2.2 Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
- 2.3 Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Cookies used by our service providers
- 2.6 Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- (a) https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en (Chrome).
- (b) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences (Firefox).
- (c) http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/ (Opera).
- (d) https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies (Internet Explorer).
- (e) https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411 (Safari); and
- (f) https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy (Edge).
- 2.7 Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
- 2.8 If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
(3) Using your personal data
We may use your personal information to:
- (a) administer the website.
- (b) improve your browsing experience by personalising the website.
- (c) enable your use of the services available on the website.
- (d) send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications.
- (e) send you email notifications which you have specifically requested.
- (f) send to you our newsletter and other marketing communications relating to our business which we think may be of interest to you by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications).
- (g) deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website.
Where you submit personal information for publication on our website, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
In addition, we may disclose information about you:
- (a) to the extent that we are required to do so by law.
- (b) in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings.
- (c) in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk).
(5) Retaining and deleting personal data
- 5.1 This Section 5 sets out our data retention policies and procedure, which are designed to help ensure that we comply with our legal obligations in relation to the retention and deletion of personal data.
- 5.2 Personal data that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- 5.3 We will retain your personal data for no longer than 12 months unless agreed with you prior to the 12-month period being complete.
- 5.4 Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section 6, we may retain your personal data where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
(6) Security of your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall- protected) servers. Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet. You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password.
(7) Policy amendments
(8) Your rights
- 8.1 You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you; provision of such information will be subject to:
- (a) the payment of a fee (currently fixed at GBP 10); and
- (b) the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
- 8.2 We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law.
- 8.3 You may instruct us at any time not to process your personal information for marketing purposes.
- 8.4 In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes
(9) Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
(10) Updating information
Please let us know if the personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
Or by post to:
Penny Petroleum, Old Station House, Powburn, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 4HU.